Maquoketa has many rich historic properties.
The following sites are on the National Register of Historical Places.
We invite you to spend a day viewing these many sites of Maquoketa.
For your copy of a detailed brochure, contact the Maquoketa Area Chamber of Commerce.
JOHN LAKE HOUSE - c. 1800's
601 W. Platt, Maquoketa
John Lake, owner of the Odd Fellows Building, built his own house of brick with the help of Smith Warren. Take note of the stone quoins.
PERHAM HOUSE - 1850
213 E. Pleasant St., Maquoketa
Two-story frame Greek Revival residence.
GREEK REVIVAL HOUSE - c. 1855 - 1860
111 E. Maple, Maquoketa
Two-story frame Greek Revival residence.
HENRY TAUBMAN HOUSE - c. 1855-1860
303 E. Pleasant St., Maquoketa
Two-story frame Greek Revival residence.
SENECA WILLIAMS MILL - 1867
Highway 64 East
Oakland Mill was built in 1867 by Joseph Willey and sold to Seneca Williams who operated it until 1904. The building was then used as a barn until restored by artist, Patrick Costello and his family. He sold the mill to his daughter Tracy (Costello) Taylor and the mill is currently a unique reception and banquet hall.
BASNETT - NICKERSON HOUSE - c. 1870
116 S. Vermont, Maquoketa
The Basnett-Nickerson home appears to date from the 1870's and shows the influence of the popular Italianate style. T.K. Nickerson purchased the house in 1886. Prior to that he lived on the farm and operated successful sawmill, flouring and woolen mills at Maquoketa. He also started producing burnt lime in the same manner as the Hurstville Kilns.
DECKER HOUSE HOTEL - 1876-77
128 N. Main, Maquoketa
James Decker built this fine example of commercial Italianate design with the assistance of a New York architect. This was the largest and finest of the hotels built in Maquoketa in the year immediately following the arrival of the railroads and the city's designation as the county seat.
ALEXANDER ORGAN RESIDENCE - c. 1880's
607 W. Summit, Maquoketa
Another example of the cream colored brick used for the quoins.
W.B. SWIGART - 1880
309 N. Main, Maquoketa
W.B. Swigart was the editor of the local paper, the Jackson Sentinel. This brick residence uses the light colored bricks as quoins rather than stone blocks.
MITCHELL MASKREY MILL - 1880
120 E. Pleasant St., Maquoketa
This building has been in continuous use as a mill since constructed. It has played an important role in Maquoketa's development. The Maskrey Mill bought the original frame Methodist Church and converted it into a mill. In the mid-80's they built the existing three story brick building around the small frame one. The mill operation continued during construction.
D.H. ANDERSON BUILDING - 1882
129 S. Main St., Maquoketa
DH Anderson, a local businessman, operated the grocery store located in the building built by Dr. Truax. The second story was leased by the Timber City Lodge of Workmen and the third floor by the Masonic Orders Hall. Anderson actually purchased the building in late 1888. This building is a good example of Italianate style with unusual gable roof, parapet and cornice. It's size makes it a local downtown landmark.
CUNDILL BLOCK - 1882
202 S. Main St., Maquoketa
The doorway sits on the diagonal in this building in what's called a chamfered corner, commonly used in bank buildings. This building was built for photographer, Will Cundill, to house his photography studio. Cundill was a long time photographer in Maquoketa and active in community affairs. He recorded photographically most of the significant events in the community.
MARTIN HOUSE - 1882
311 S. Second St., Maquoketa
Another fine example of a brick house. This home has twin front porches.
GEORGE COOPER HOUSE - 1884
413 W. Platt, Maquoketa
Blocks of stone used to make quoins on this brick house are again another example of the architecture of this area.
I.O.O.F. BUILDING - 1886
105 N. Main, Maquoketa
Built at a cost of $7,000 by the Odd Fellows who used the top two floors and rented the ground floor and basement for commercial use.
DH ANDERSON RESIDENCE - 1888
315 E. Locust St., Maquoketa
This house was built for the owner of the DH Anderson Grocery. It is another example of the fine quoin work done in this era. In addition, notice the corbelling on the chimneys forming fancy chimney pots.
LYDIA JOHNSON HOUSE - 1890
209 E. Locust St., Maquoketa
A fine frame Queen Anne style house designed by a Davenport architect. Lydia was the wife of a local physician who left her and moved to Oklahoma while she retained the house. Lydia was a prominent club woman and held many Federated Women's Club meetings of the area at this residence. Notice all of the details including the rounded glass in the bay windows.
DOBSON TOWN CLOCK BUILDING - 1890
115-117 E. Platt St., Maquoketa
Also called the "New Era Building", the owner was Dr. A.B. Dobson. He was a clairvoyant physician who treated patients by mail. His advertising stated to "send lock of hair, $1 and he could cure your ills." The large frame clock tower on the building was separate by design and construction and was removed for scrap for WWII.
C.M. SANBORN BUILDING - 1896
203 S. Main St., Maquoketa
Italianate Commercial Design of the finest example in Maquoketa. The twin two-story oriels and metal cornice are the major decorative elements. C.M. Sanborn was a dealer in wholesale and retail grocery and general merchandise
HURST HOTEL - 1897
227 S. Main St., Maquoketa
This hotel was built by a group of local businessmen and was originally called the "Delmonico". It anchors the south end of Main Street just as the Decker House anchors the north end. It was renamed the Hurst Hotel when Alfred Hurst purchased it in the early 1900's. This three-story brick building with mansard roof represents the epitome of elegance for a first-class hotel at that time and is relatively unaltered from its original state.
LYON BLOCK - 1900
112-116 N. Main, Maquoketa
This commercial building has a unique application of brick arches connecting the windows on the second story. The ground floor was used for a dry goods store and the second floor was again a Lodge Hall.
MAQUOKETA PUBLIC LIBRARY - 1904
2nd at Pleasant, Maquoketa
This Classical Revival style library serves as the buffer between the downtown business district and the prestigious residential neighborhood of the time, the West Pleasant Street Historic District. This Carnegie funded library is of brick from St. Louis and with the high stone foundation, makes it a typical library design of the times.
A.A. HURST HOUSE - 1912
513 W. Platt, Maquoketa
The house and garage exhibit characteristics of the Prairie School architecture and is a large stucco finished four-square residence. Abe Hurst, son of the original founder of Hurstville, was a prominent business man in the Maquoketa area.
MERRERO BUILDING - 1918
111-115 S. Main St., Maquoketa
This commercial building was constructed in 1918 to replace an earlier three-story building which burned in December of 1917. The new Merrero Building was called "one of the handsomest store buildings in Eastern Iowa." The use of the elegant white glazed brick was unique in the community and added a richness that was unusual for a commercial building. While the building was very modern at the time, an "old-fashioned" bracketed metal Italianate style cornice was added. It is interesting to note that this large building, with room for three businesses, was constructed without any guarantee of being filled, as a historic photo shows big "For Rent" signs in the windows.
JACKSON STATE BANK - 1920
120 S. Main St., Maquoketa
This bank building is a very fine example of neo-classical bank design from the first quarter of this century. The terra cotta detailing includes almost all possible classical motifs. Note the monumental Ionic columns and pilasters. It was built originally for the First National Bank and has continued to be used in the banking industry.
POLYGONAL BARN - 1920
This unique shaped barn is one of a group of barns named to the National Register by Lowell Soike and included in his book, "Without Right Angles".
West Pleasant Street
The prestigious residential neighborhood of Maquoketa had the earliest and only paved residential streets until the 1930's. It was felt that the creosote treated wooden blocks would be much quieter under the horses hoofs than the common brick paving. West Pleasant Street is lined with wonderful examples of residential designs from the 1870 to 1890's.
114 S. Prospect
Three generations of the Keck Family, prominent local attorneys, have lived in this home. Note the name stone on the edge of the sidewalk. The first Keck lawyer, Levi, built this brick home at the end of Pleasant Street in 1890, despite city plans to continue the street to the west.
204-206 W. Pleasant
This double tenant house, unique for its time, was built by William Rathje in 1901. Features include the lunette (fan-shaped) windows in the gables and decorative shingles above the dormer windows.
210 W. Pleasant
This home was built by local merchant Thomas Trout in 1875 and sold to Judge A.J. House in 1894. The home features a mansard roof that originally had a cast iron railing with decorative points.
303 W. Pleasant
A wagon and carriage maker by trade, D.C. Clary was one of the early pioneer settlers to come to the area in 1847. His brick home was built in 1871 and features leaded glass windows with stone lintels and sills and stone water tables. The house had an elevator at one time, which has since been removed.
307 W. Pleasant
Dunham, built this home in 1894-95. In 1905, prominent physician Dr. AB Bowen purchased it for $4,500. He had his office adjacent to the house. Notice the Flemish baroque curved window on the second story and the uniquely paned windows with decorative designs.
315 W. Pleasant
This is one of the oldest homes in the West Pleasant Historic District. It was built in 1963 by local store owner, Henry Shellenberger. One of his daughters married Frank Mitchell who owned the Mitchell-Maskrey Mill.
318 W. Pleasant
This home was built by hardware merchant Addis Carter in 1876-77. It had several prominent owners before being purchased for use as a funeral home.
401 W. Pleasant
Smith Warren, a prominent local builder, built this house in 1884. Newspaper accounts from 1892 describe the use of wood graining done by local painter, Mark Stanly. Josiah Swigart, son of the founder of the local Jackson Sentinel newspapers, purchased the house a few years later. Swigart relatives lived there until 1973.
406 W. Pleasant
This magnificent brick residence of Italianate style was built in 1875-76. The original carriage house still stands. Both buildings are made of locally manufactured brick. The original iron cresting on the roofs is still in place.
410 W. Pleasant
This brick home was built in 1891 and owned for many years by Frank Trout, a local hardware merchant. Unusual exterior features are the brick square bay window, segmented brick arches over the windows, and limestone quoins for corner trim.
413 W. Pleasant
The prominent physician, Dr. D.N. Loose, served the community for forty-five years and was also a charter board member of the Maquoketa Public Library. Note the stick-style architecture with teardrop shaped pendants. To expedite his medical calls, the original carriage house boasted a turntable for turning his carriage.
418 W. Pleasant
Bank president J.E. Squiers built this handsome brick home in 1882 and the Squiers family continued to live there for sixty years. Present owners, Virl and Kathy Banowetz, have recently completed its restoration and operate it as a bed and breakfast (Squires Manor). Notice the richly ornamented barge board, iron fence, massive brick chimneys and brick corbelling.
Information Provided By: Jackson County Historic Preservation Commission